It is time for a little bit of clarity for anyone confused over the name change of Newhall Ranch development to Valencia. Hopefully, this will help!
In 1875, Henry Mayo Newhall purchased 46,000 acres in a Mexican land grant called “Rancho San Francisco”. Rancho San Francisco was later named Newhall Ranch.
A good majority of Newhall Ranch has been developed over the years by the family-owned company called Newhall Land and Farming Company.
Part of this development was the “original” Master Planned Community called “Valencia”.
Original Valencia was created with a document called The Valencia Master Plan in 1965. The remaining Villages in that Valencia Master Plan (as shown in the picture at the bottom right) will be nearing completion over the next few years.
In 1994 Newhall Land and Farming started a new development project and decided to name it “Newhall Ranch”. The project would be created under the Newhall Ranch Specific Plan.
The Newhall Ranch development would be built on the last large parcel of the Newhall Ranch property in Los Angeles County.
In 2015 Newhall Land and Farming Company transitioned into a new company named FivePoint.
They continued progress on the Newhall Ranch development under the leadership of CEO Emile Haddad.
In early 2019, Emile Haddad announced that based on the established success and name recognition of their “original” Valencia, they would change the name of the Newhall Ranch development to Valencia and continue with that tradition of award-winning excellence.
So now you know where Valencia came from and why the Newhall Ranch development changed their name to FivePoint Valencia.
Please note: This page would not have been made possible without the help of the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society. Click here to donate to the SCVHS.